The SUC Library caters to all the students, faculty and staff of SUC to pursue higher studies and research in accomplishing their degrees as well as the local community. The Library provides conducive learning environment in teaching and research programs of SUC by acquiring and making available all learning resources. The sole objective is to serve the right information to the right user at the right time.
SUC Library strives to enhance the personal growth of students and contribute to the development and sustainability of students, faculty and other members through free access to ideas, information, educational and scientific research, cultural experiences and educational opportunities.
- To plan, develop, procure and maintain adequate online and offline library resources for smooth operation as per SUC’s strategic plan
- To provide a learning environment conducive to academic needs along with regular updating of learning resources
- To orient the students, faculty and staff with regards to the usage of library resources
- To disseminate required, relevant and updated information to enhance the Research Support to Faculty, Student & Staff
- To create the reading awareness; involve the Students in the library activities and Information Literacy Programs.
The library collection includes various subjects like General Education, Business, Management, Marketing, Finance, Accounting, HR, Tourism, Social Sciences, General Science, IT and Fictions so on. The overview of the collections are as follows:
REFERENCE BOOKS (Copies) 13266
TITLES OF REFERENCES (approx.) 10630
CORE TEXT BOOKS (MBA, BBA & BS IT) 10847
CORE TEXT TITLES (approx.) 253
SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS - PRINT
ONLINE JOURNALS 6 2357
MAGAZINES - PRINT 10
NEWS PAPERS 10
ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIPS & E-DATABASES 10
E-BOOKS (EBRARY) 158816
LIBRARY SERVICES / FACILITIES & TIMINGS
The Library is open with all facilities and services for the students from 9.00 A.M to 10.00 P.M on all workings days and also on Fridays & Saturdays from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Library will remain closed on public & Government holidays.
Library provides the following facilities to the users:
- Reference Section
- Rental Section
- Periodical Section
- New Arrivals Section
- Discussion Room
- Conference Room
- Silent Zone
- Learning Zone
- Research Zone
- Alexa Corner
- VR Glass
Library is providing the following facilities to the users:
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
- Self Check-In and Check-out
- Internet/CD ROM Search Assistance
- Information Services
- Research Support Information Service (RSIS)
- Reference/Referral Service
- News clipping Service
- Current Awareness Service (CAS)
- Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
- Query Based Service (QBS)
- Table of Content
- New Arrivals Information Service
- Book Review of the Month
The Library is open with all facilities and services for the students from 9.00 A.M to 10.00 P.M on all workings days and also on Fridays from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturdays from 9.00 A.M to 7.00 P.M. Library will remain closed on public & Government holidays.
- Silence should be maintained in the Library.
- Spitting, smoking and other offensive or objectionable practices are strictly prohibited.
- Cell phones should be switched off or kept in the silent mode with in Library premises.
- Student ID Cards should be shown at entrance & also on demand whenever there is a Check.
- Student ID cards/borrower cards are not transferable. Books are issued against borrower cards only on production of their own Student ID card.
- On completion of course No dues Certificate will be issued only on submitting all the materials borrowed from the library.
- Overdue charges will be collected if book is not returned by due date.
- If book is lost borrower is responsible to replace the book or pay latest market price. If title is out of print price will be charged as per Library norms.
- No eatables are allowed in the Library.
- Violations of Library rules can lead to hefty fines / debarred from Library.
- Playing games, downloading games, software, music /video files is strictly prohibited in the electronic library area.
- Library computers are meant for library search only and students are allowed to work on their assignments also.
RULES FOR CIRCULATION
- The number of books to be issued and loan period is classified into 4 broad categories. They are as follows:
- Undergraduate program (School of Business & School of IT)
- Graduate program (School of Business)
- Faculty and Staff
- Others include CPD students, Alumni and outside members
- Collection of core text books from library is the responsibility of the borrower and no refund of utilization fee will be applicable.
The Library charges fine of AED 1/= day for overdue books from the students.
Issued documents and other items are renewable, provided there is no demand for the material by other members. Two renewals are allowed for any issued material.
PENALTY FOR DAMAGES/LOST
The cases of penalty for any damage or loss of any item will be referred to the Head-Librarian for action. The actions range from hefty fines to debarring from Library for a semester.
The Library fees for SUC student is included in the annual fees as per the institution policies. All library borrowings will come into force after a member pays applicable security deposit which will be refunded at the time of withdrawal of membership or cancellation of the admission course after deducting any dues pending against the library.
The outside members will have to pay applicable annual membership with a security deposit of AED 500/= and it has to be renewed each year. The alumni members of SUC can access the library e-resources absolutely free of charge through the portal.
Alumni and Outside Membership forms are available in the portal and print copies in the library as well.
Will there be orientation about SUC library for the users?An orientation will be given to all the Freshmen of BBA & MBA at the beginning of the semester. The Administration department will advise the date and time for the orientation.
Will SUC library issue a clearance certificate?All those who leave the organization must return, replace or pay for all outstanding print and non-print materials that they have not returned to the Library. SUC Library will issue the clearance certificate to any faculty member only after he/she returns the borrowed materials from the Library.
What kinds of e-resources are available in our library?Ebrary, ProQuest and EBSCO are the e-resources available and the students can access them by from home as well.
All they have to do is to enter their user name and password in the library portal. Under the section E Database and journals this link is given.
What is Inter library loan?SUC has an agreement of inter library loan facility with the University of Dubai (UOD). The services of University of Dubai can be availed both by the students and the faculty for the purpose of references, borrow books and also use the online resources.
What facilities and services does library department provides?Library is providing the following facilities and services to the users:
i. Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
ii. Internet/CD ROM Search Assistance
iii. Online Resources Services (EBSCO, ProQuest (ABI/INFORM) Ebrary)
iv. News clipping Service
v. Reference/Referral Service
vi. Current Awareness Service (CAS)
vii. Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI)
viii. Query Based Service (QBS)
ix. Table of Content
C. NEWSPAPER CLIPPING SERVICE (See the link)
D. SDI/CAS SERVICES
E. INTER LIBRARY LOAN
F. DISCUSSION ROOMS
G. PRESENTATION ROOM
H. ONLINE RESOURCE SERVICE
What are the rules for circulation of non-print material?Rules for Circulation of Non-Print Materials (NPMs)
Non- print materials (NPMs) in the collections of Library include items such as DVDs/CDs/Videos/CDs/ Video Cassettes, Audio Cassettes, Slides etc.
1. All audio-visual materials will be issued to the faculty for the classroom demonstration only through the computing department who would display the material as per faculty requirement and then return to the Library. Items can be retained maximum for seven days only.
2. Lending period: Seven days only
What all institutional memberships does SUC library have?Ebrary, ProQuest, EBSCO, American Finance Association, ATLAS, American Marketing Association, American Accounting Association and Association for Computing Machinery.
Is there any penalty for loss or damaged books?The cases of penalty for any damage or lost of any item will be referred to Head-Librarian for action.
How can I use discussion rooms?
Some rules and regulations are to be followed during the use of discussion rooms:
i. The rooms for students have to be reserved in advance. The group which wants to use the rooms for discussion should give their names and the time for use at least one day before the requirement.
ii. The rooms are for studies and group discussions purpose only.
Can the library material be renewed?Users may renew any materials borrowed from the Library provided that no other person has made a request for the item. Two renewals will be allowed for any issued materials. On-campus students must present the book and a current identification card at the Circulation Desk. Requests for renewals by telephone will only be accepted from students who attend all of their classes’ off-campus.
Are there any late fine charges?The Library charges fine of AED 1/= day for overdue books from the students.